Saturday, August 20, 2011

My Smashwords Experience..

It took me time to write out my experience, and a few ebooks to get from the actual website is: The Smashwords Book Marketing Guide and The Smashwords Style Guide they are both free, but they tell you the basics of ebook publishing with their website.

Here is my experience:

My Smashwords Experience
After tons of research on e-publishing I decided to use Smahwords as my ebook distributor. It was not an easy task.

I had to spend days  getting everything right. That means creating the story. Editing, and finding an editor to make my work shine. I had to find someone to help me create a good ebook cover. Thankfully I have my friend Eyvonne who is a very talented artist. She made the cover.

After everything was said and done I had to upload the cover as a .jpeg file, and the text of the story as a word .doc. I had to wait as it was converted to all the different formats. Then it kept having issues with the document, and it took me 4 times to correct it. After it was done it was published, and I had yet to get it into the premium catalogue there.

The premium catalogue:

Here is a quote on what the premium catalogue is from the Smashwords website: “Premium Catalog (Reaches Major Retailers): Once your book is accepted into the Premium Catalog, we automatically distribute it to major online retailers such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo, Borders Australia and Angus & Robertson Australia (both powered by Kobo), Whitcoulls (New Zealand, powered by Kobo), the Diesel eBook Store and other distribution outlets coming soon. On May 4, 2011, we announced a distribution agreement with ScrollMotion which will make all Premium Catalog titles available as single-book apps for sale in the major mobile app marketplaces (click here to see announcement) including Apple, Android, Windows Phone 7 and HP's WebOS.”

I made all the changes to my stuff, and I have yet to make it in. After that was done I uploaded my short story ebook to the kindle  website, and filled out the information to sell it there.  After all that was done it was time to market it. I have yet to figure out how to properly do it since I just started. That is my experience, and it thrills me to not end to announce to my friends that I am a published author. I am also happy to see my book at different places.

I hope you found it helpful, and I am just starting out with it. I hope we talk again.

Until next time,
Wolfdreamer25