Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Self-doubt is not cool!

Every writer deals with it, and it does not matter whether you are published or unpublished. Traditional or self published, or Indie published either, and it will always be there. In a dark part of your brain. The times where everything is good, and it rears its ugly head to tell you things to tear your heart to shredded bloody pieces. I feel like taking an imaginary shotgun, and blowing it to pieces.
If I do that maybe it will go away. Unforunately self doubt is not a person, so there is no harming it. There are ways to combat it though, and the main thing is to not let it get to you.

Sometimes if self-doubt strikes I read a book. I let the book distract me, and it keeps my mind on the book. Not the current WIP I am struggling with. I then proceed to spend my time typing, and working on other work. It helps to keep busy if you have any negative emotion. I hate it when it happens though because it can get you down quickly. It can make you stop writing, and give up when you have so much to say that letting it get in the way seems stupid. Push on though with whatever you are doing because that is a way to let it go.

You can also try these methods:
  • ·      Meditation helps because it allows you to stop thinking, and just be at peace.
  • ·      Aromatherapy helps too because certain oils can make it go away. It can help you relax, and combined with candles and a bath a good combination too make you feel better.
  • ·      Taking a walk can help to clear your mind, and you can repeat affirmations that can help you get back to where you were before the doubts creep in.
  • ·      Video games can help too since you can smash your self doubts to pieces if you play a violent video game that lets you shoot up things.
  • ·      Eat or sleep it off since taking a break to do that can help you out too.
  •  

Any other tips you guys have to share about conquering self-doubt?

Until next time,

Wolfdreamer25